PhotosByTom: Photo Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
ThomasHAdams
ShutterBug
ShutterBug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote

I recently purchased this lens just to test it out. Immediately you can tell that the lens is very light, great for packing around, but not as sturdy as some other plastic alternatives (Tokina 12-24, Nikon 12-24). There is an Aperture ring as well as distance indicators on the lens. The lens filter is ø77mm diameter, and the front barrel does not rotate when focusing.

On my copy the front element assembly wobbles just slightly. It does not appear to present any problems with image quality. Also I notice that the manual focus ring is a bit loose feeling, and "slow" turning of the ring prompts jerky movement. It is smooth when rotating at a normal speed to the limits of focus.

Alternatively the zoom ring is smooth and controls very well. At roughly 10.5 ounces it is an excellent light weight performer. The lens is very sharp with only slight vignetting (with CP) at 19mm f/3.5 by f/8 it is gone. There is some slight distortion, most of it is correctable in PP. I am having a bit of difficulty at the extreme corners with straight lines as they take on a hint of mustache distortion. I will post some images soon to demonstrate, however I believe in photographs of non linear objects it would be virtually impossible to perceive.

View next topic
View previous topic